ready for Thanksgiving....
This year we are hosting Thanksgiving at our home. A small, but pleasant little group. We will have enough food to feed the army though. It seems like you've gotta have it all...or my hubby thinks we do! So this year is my first Thanksgiving at my home....first time making homemade rolls and pies.... (kind of pathetic I know...) But I've really had a great time doing it all. Yesterday I made rolls, today pies.... I had some really cute help too...
don't-cha think?When I was buttering the rolls after they came out of the oven, Logan saw me and said, "You painting?" I busted out laughing and said,"Ya! I'm painting...with butter! Fun huh!....wanna try?" I knew I already had enough made and put aside for Thanksgiving dinner so I let him go to town...you should have seen them! I had to transfer them to another pan and pat the bottom of each roll off on a napkin. They were saturated with butter....yummy if you ask me! :) He really enjoyed himself though. And I made sure to tell him how GREAT of a job he was doing! Too cute.
Boston woke up from nap time just as we were wrapping up. I went to get her from her room and change her little bum. When I returned I saw this....
now that is serious cuteness! Can you believe how stinkin' sweet he is. (I totally need to have him train his dad...have I mentioned this little guy also clears the table for me EVERY night after dinner? He always brings his plates to the sink....awe Love Him!!)
I think he got a little carried away....washing pans, washing head...same thing.
I really really wanted to share some recipes for Shelly's Recipe Extravaganza....but I'm afraid I may just be a little too late to have them benefit your Thanksgiving....so I'll be posting them soon along with others...for your Holiday Festivities!
On the menu:
Turkey: (of course! But the Warnke's do it a little different, we don't like dark meat so we get a breast and cook it in the Crock Pot. It's so delicious and juicy. Now Stacey doesn't like it any other way!)
Ham: A delicious spiral cut brown sugar glazed one.
Mashed Potatoes: M.I.L will bring, hers are the best!
Stuffing: M.I.L will bring....I hate even the smell of stuffing!
Spinach Salad: yum!
Homemade Rolls: Yum!
Pomegranate Fruit Salad: a Warnke fav.
Raspberry-Cottage Cheese Salad: MIL will bring, yum!
Hot Artichoke Dip: appetizer
Cucumber Sandwiches: appetizer
Homemade Pecan Pie: desert
Homemade Apple Pie: desert
I think I have everything in order! Thanksgiving dinner is kind of a big thing I've heard....i'm a little nervous! Stacey tested out the Pecan Pie tonight (I thought that was against the rules, but he assured me it's not!) and he loves it, even had seconds. Score for me!
I wish you all a happy Thanksgiving. I myself am very grateful for a lot of thing in life. I have read so many beautiful ways to put it, so many heartfelt thankfulness's (not in the dictionary, don't even waist your time looking...actually spell check didn't pick it up as wrong...so maybe it just sounds silly) which have helped me see things that normally I wouldn't see...like these:
- the mess to clean after a party because it means I have been surrounded by family and friends.
- the taxes I pay because it means that I am employed.
- the clothes that fit a little to snug because it means I have enough to eat.
- my shadow who watches me work because it means I am in the sunshine.
- the spot I find at the far end of the parking lot because it means I am capable of walking.
- all the complaining I hear about government because it means we have freedom of speech.
- a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning, and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.
- the lady behind me in church who sings of key because it means that I can hear.
- my huge heating bill because it means I am warm.
- the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours because it means that I am alive.
- weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because it means I have been productive.
- the piles of laundry and dishes because it means my loved ones are nearby.
some more I'd like to add in no specific order:
- my family, of course.
- my amazing wonderful husband who supports our family and works hard for us to have what we have.
- for my savior and for the gospel.
- for the spirit we can feel leading and guiding us daily.
- for my children, awe they melt my heart...even though they are difficult sometimes!
- my parents and in-laws...they are SO selfless and just good good people. we are So lucky.
- my sisters: love ya girlie's! can't wait till Christmas when we are ALL together and can hang out and laugh...that includes you too, mom! :) Oh conversation is fun with all five of us!
- of course my home, employment, freedom, $1.81/gal gas prices (I filled up for $37 not even joking!)
- Christmas decorations and Christmas songs and the Christmas Spirit oh and Christmas Shopping!...sorry Thanksgiving to steal your thunder a bit. don't be mad.
- The fact that we are able to get Christmas for our kids, though we don't have to go way out, yet...they can hardly make it through one gift let alone fifty....so Santa is taking it easy until they catch on! (though I told Logan to write a list for Santa and I'd mail it to him and he named off a bazillion things he wants...K so he knows Christmas....but he doesn't go back to school from break and talk with his friends about all that they got and didn't get...I am grateful too that they don't know any better yet! (ha ha)
- My washer and dryer and vacuum.
- A disposal.
- Boston's kisses: she is so giving of them...especially when she was just told "no no!"
- Logan's kisses: he makes every booboo better and every morning brighter.
- Stacey's kisses: simply wonderful. Awe, I'm blushing!
This was supposed to be a simple Thankful list, I guess that is what I get for thinking of this as my journal...I just write whatever comes to mind. Speaking of journal/blogging...I've never had a journal before that came with so many wonderful, inspiring, uplifting, life changing, friends who support me. I love you guys! I'm thankful every day for you, too.
I suggest wearing your jogging/sweat pants tomorrow! Worry about the 5 pounds come January! (you know you know it's down hill from here don'tcha?) Gotta love the holidays! And be safe if you are an after Thanksgiving day shopper (you crazy person you)...i'll be here...eating leftovers inbetween the Christmas Decorating. Yah!